There are two types of Cinnamon namely;
1) Ceylon Cinnamon
2) Cassia Cinnamon
Indigenous to Sri Lanka, that derives from the plant Cinnamomum Zeylanicum which contains negotiable levels of Coumarin (<0.004%)
Soft & Light to Golden Brown in color
Easy to break, handcrafted in to thin multiple layered sticks
Expensive, mild flavor, aroma and has countless health benefits
Originated from China, Indonesia, Vietnam and derives from the plant Cinnamomum Cassia which contains high levels of Coumarin (>5%)
Hard & Dark Reddish Brown in color
Hard to break, thick single layer of bark which is naturally curled in to a stick
Cheap, intense flavor, aroma and toxic for continual usage
Modern researches indicate that Ceylon Cinnamon may have more beneficial health properties compared to other varieties of cinnamon available in the market place.
Ceylon Cinnamon is well known to prevent heart diseases, control and maintain the blood sugar levels, prevent cancer, stimulate brain functions, maintain smooth blood circulation, treat respiratory Infection and reduce bad cholesterol.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CEYLON CINNAMON
1.Weight Loss: Ceylon Cinnamon possesses the ability to reduce the blood glucose concentration and enhance insulin sensitivity. Thereby, less sugar will be stored as fat and this will lead to loss of weight.
*Note – There are several safety considerations when using cinnamon as medicine, some people may experience allergic reactions and taking internally may possibly cause vomiting/kidney damage. Thereby, it is recommended to consult a physician before taking any Cinnamon.
2.Diabetes: Cinnamon is well known for its blood sugar lowering effects and it acts in many ways. Firstly Cinnamon can decrease the glucose access to the blood stream after a meal by interfering digestive enzymes which will slow down the breakdown of carbohydrates in the digestive tract. Secondly by acting on cells by mimicking insulin that will increase the insulin uptake of cells.
3.Cancer: Cinnamon is widely used for experimentations to prevent and to find a cure for cancer. Cancer is a disease characterize by uncontrolled growing of cells. Research studies shows sugar maybe a factor that will endure cancer cells. Thereby, substance included in cinnamon, cinnamaldehyde will control the sugar level. Thus, the cancer cells will be malnourished without the adequate level of sugar and will perish whereas, cinnamaldehyde will fight against cancer cell and cinnamon can be used to protect against cancer.
4.Other: Cinnamon includes substance with leading medical properties. The distinct smell and flavor of cinnamon is due to cinnamaldehyde. This compound is high in Ceylon cinnamon and that contributes to many of the health benefits.
- Cinnamon laden with Antioxidants: Cinnamon is one of the top seven antioxidants in the world. Cinnamon contains with polyphenols which is a powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants can protect the human body from oxidative damages from free radicals that can cause cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon: Inflammation is essential to the human physique and it helps to battle against infection and repair of damage tissues. According to the journal published in Molecular Biology, Chronic inflammation can cause various neurodegenerative diseases such as brain tumor, meningitis, etc. The study states including several other spices, cinnamon is having an inflammation effect and can be used to reduce neurodegenerative diseases.
- Cinnamon will reduce the heart risk: There are recent studies that conclude a cinnamon dose of 120 milligram will reduce level of LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and total cholesterol. In animal experiments it has proven cinnamon can lower the blood pressure. This concludes cinnamon has the ability to reduced heart disease by lowering crucial risk factors that can cause heart risks.
- Beneficial effects on neurodegenerative diseases: Neurodegenerative diseases are characterized with progressive loss of structure or function of brain cells. Two substances found in cinnamon, cinnamaldehyde and epicatechin appear to impede collection of protein called tau in the brain which is the key root for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Fights bacterial and fungal infections: Cinnamaldehyde is a core component of cinnamon and that is used to treat infections caused by fungi and inhibits certain bacteria. Cinnamon bark oil is extremely powerful against the bacterial. So it can be mixed with water and spray to disinfect bacterial infection. The antibacterial properties of cinnamon also help to prevent tooth decay and bad breath
- Fights the HIV virus: HIV virus will break down the immune system of the human body. Experiments found that cinnamon is thought to fight against HIV-1 which is the most common in human.
- Food prevention: As identified cinnamon is deterring bacterial development. This is a main reason in Asian countries to use cinnamon for cooking. And cinnamon oil usage in food packaging will help food to last longer than normal.
- Odour diffuser: Cinnamon does possess a very charming smell and its antibacterial ability will destroy the bacterial that will generate bad smell. It can be used as a substitute for the chemical sprays.